The buildings of HCMC’s past, present & future
We’re counting down until April 2018 when we open a beautiful, state-of-the-art clinic and specialty center on our downtown campus. As we celebrate one year to opening, the Hennepin Medical History Center reflected on the many buildings that were a part of Hennepin County Medical Center’s past.
In a new exhibit titled Anatomy of a Hospital, they take us on a journey through the years starting in 1871, when the first hospital building in Minneapolis opened. From then until now, there have been many buildings by many names – and many lives touched within their walls. What we know today as HCMC derived from all these remarkable places.
You can check out the exhibit at the Minneapolis Central Library from now until May 30, 2017. We also shared a few of the buildings below, including a rendering of our future clinic and specialty building!
St. Barnabas Hospital
- Established 1871
- Original name: Cottage Hospital
- Original number of beds: 6
- Located at North 9th Ave & Washington Ave
The Swedish Hospital
- Established 1898
- Organized for Minneapolis Swedish community
- Original number of beds: 25
- Originally located at 1419 9th St
Metropolitan Medical Center
- Established 1971
- Consolidation of The Swedish and St. Barnabas Hospitals
- Located at 900 South 8th St
Hennepin County Medical Center (pictured here in 1905 as Minneapolis City General)
- Established 1887
- Original name: City Hospital
- Original number of beds: 61
- Currently located at 701 Park Ave
HCMC Clinic and Specialty Center
- Opening Spring 2018
- Part of Hennepin County Medical Center downtown campus
- Size: 377,000 square feet
- Located at 715 S. 8th Street
- Go to www.clinicbuilding.org for more information
About the exhibit
Visit our Hennepin Medical History Center’s “The Anatomy of a Hospital: The Buildings of St. Barnabas Hospital, The Swedish Hospital and Hennepin County Medical Center” at the Minneapolis Central Library from April 6-May 30, 2017. Learn more.
Minneapolis Central Library
Cargill Hall Gallery
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55401
About the Hennepin Medical History Center
HCMC celebrates their past through the Hennepin Medical History Center. The volunteers of the History Center are dedicated to preserving the past and educating people about the many successes we have had as an organization. Visit them in our Blue Building Lower Level on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 am-2 pm and by appointment.